The green block at the lights?

Anything to do with transport

Moderator: mark lloyd

Duck

The green block at the lights?

Postby Duck » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:47 am

Hi

I was wondering if anyone knew if cyclists had right of way to go first at traffic lights with the full width green cycle block painted on the road. Logic makes it look like cars wait before the green block and bicycles park and wait ON the green block, whether going left right or ahead.

Just wondering after I waited on the green block for a bit, lights went to green, I moved on and was abused by a car driver ... hahahaha
I think they thought cars had the right of way ... do they?

admin
Site Admin

Re: The green block at the lights?

Postby admin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:33 pm

I presumed we had right of ay as well, but have not looked it up in the highway code!
Bridget

mark lloyd

Postby mark lloyd » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:28 pm

In answer to this...

The Green Block is for cycles only when traffic is queuing and the lights are on red. The purpose is to create space for all those on bikes who have been able to get to the front of the queue by using the approach cycle lane. I would advise that if you are on your own, keep left if you are turning left or going straight on, if you are with others make the drivers wait until the people on bikes drop down into single file again...

Regards,

Toby

Duck

Postby Duck » Tue May 17, 2011 9:59 pm

Hi

Cheers folk. Happened across 2 Police officers (soon after the post) on bicycles next to the place in question. They made it quite clear that when the traffic is waiting on a red light the bicycle takes priority, all the traffic behind must give way to the cyclist. FAB#! :) hehe

Return to “Transport”